Monday, June 20, 2011

Stop Using Hot Combs

We have come such a long way when it comes to technology and styling tools. I admit back in the day my ma use to press my hair with a hot comb and yes my hair was down my back. Thank God my ma knew that too much heat could cause serious damage to my hair. So she didn't do it often.
       A lot of women/men (who are natural) believe that they have to press their hair with a metal hot comb before flat ironing with a metal CLINK CLINK flat iron in order to achieve the smooth silky relaxed hair look. Well I'm here to tell you, you don't have to do all of that.









Note: This post is for natural women/men but of course relaxed women/men can use these tips as well.



Why Not Use a Metal Hot Combs and or Flat irons.

   You should not use these particular styling tools on your hair because 1. When styling at home you tend to heat up these tolls using your stove which can get very hot. So hot that if you over heat the tool and place it on your hair it can melt your hair right off.... Why would you want to take that risk? 2. The old school hot combs and heat styling tools are made out of metal. And we all know metal and heat cook things, including your hair. Causing your hair to become weak, damaged, and brittle.

(NOTE: Try to blow dry your hair as straight as you can before flat ironing. This will make you straightening process easier and faster.) I recommend using a blow dryer that has ion technology this drys my hair in no time. I got my from Walmart for about $17. Here is a link to show you how to blow dry your hair: How to blow dry hair smooth , Blow drying part ll


So What Should We Use?

I suggest, if you do your hair yourself, invest in a professional flat iron. I have had my share of Walmart and Target flat irons, and the more I became natural the frizzier my hair became and the harder it was to flat iron with them cheap "ceramic" flat irons. Yes you do want to look for a flat iron that is ceramic but most of the flat irons that are $20-$40 are ceramic coated. Meaning in time the ceramic will burn its self off and your iron will be nothing but metal. When looking for a flat iron make sure it says "100% Ceramic" on the box. This means that the ceramic is baked into the flat irons plates and wont burn off.
    Note: Ceramic helps the hair to become smooth and silky  and helps to prevent split ends when flat ironing.


You so want to look for a flat iron that say Tourmaline as well. This is very important for my natural people trying to create that relaxed look. Tourmaline are crystals and when they are infused into the flat iron with nano technology and ceramic its doesn't just straighten the hair, it seals the hair cuticle allowing the hair to become extremely silky and soft. Tourmaline also gives your hair frizz control allowing you to be in humid weather and not become a poof ball! These flat irons can range from $60-$500. Its up to you on how much you are willing to invest in a CHI, FHI, CORTEX, SEDU, HAIRART, or any other flat iron. I personal use the Cortex international it is 100% Ceramic and infused with black Tourmaline. The Flat iron is red and has shiney black plates. This flat iron was $200 but I found it TJ MAXX for $29.99. :)







Remember you shouldn't add heat to your hair more than once every TWO WEEKS. And ALWAYS ALWAYS use a heat protector!








Some of us naturals have really coily hair and when we flat iron it, it just does not get straight. Well try the chasing method. For this method you will need a professional flat iron and a thick rat tail comb.

Here's the link that shows you how to do the chasing method. (I always get the best results when I flat iron my hair this way). Chasing Method

Here are some websites where you can find a professional falt iron

Folica.com 
miskko.com
FHI.com
Chi.com
Amazon.com
overstock.com

No comments:

Post a Comment